Friday, June 19, 2009

Data Entry. Today was secretary day. It brought me back to my first summer in college that I spent temping at various downtown firms doing mainly administrative work. I busied myself inputing over 50 profiles of people who have come through the ESL teaching center. There were a sprinkling of people from every part of SE Asia - from Tibet to Bangladesh to Nepal to India to Pakistan to Korea to China! Where else can you find such diversity within one neighborhood? As I typed in their information, I prayed over each of these students. I thought about the immigrants and their struggles. I compare my own discomfort and feeling of alienation in a foreign city to theirs and I realize that hands down I have lost.

"Am I not better?" I find God asking me this question often since I have arrived in NYC. The most difficult part of being out here is that I am alone without the security of home and all I know well. My insecurities surface and my fears take over. It is during this time that God causes me to understand that he is far greater than my life at home. I have placed a false sense of worth and satisfaction on things that will not last. That is when God reminds me that He is ultimately better. John Piper says it well, "God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment